Welcome to Hyundai Kia Forums!

Go Back   Hyundai Kia Forums > Kia Forums > Kia Minivan / Crossover / SUV Forums > Kia Sedona Forum

Notices

Kia Sedona Forum Forum for discussions regarding the Kia Sedona

Hyundai and Kia Forum: What size bolts to mount a hitch on 08 Sedona LX?

Old 05-17-2016, 05:18 PM

Question What size bolts to mount a hitch on 08 Sedona LX?

Hi all - I ordered a Curt 13345 Class 3 hitch for our 2008 Sedona LX. The kit came with 12mm bolts, but it doesn't look like they'll fit, even after a good cleaning with WD40. The installation vids I can find call out 12mm bolt also, but I'm wondering if any of the Sedonas ever came with 10mm weld nuts for the hitch. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:29 AM

Default What size bolts to mount a hitch on 08 Sedona LX?

Knotscott - I installed one on our 2009 a few weeks ago. I can't remember what the bolt size was, but I used the ones included with the new hitch. (The hitch is a Reese Class III/IV w/ 2" square receiver.)

I think there were six bolts (three per side), and the holes on the van's frame were somewhat corroded. It would have been great if bolts had been included from factory, installed with a generous amount of anti-seize.

I was unable to chase the holes' threads because I don't have a tap of the correct diameter w/ the correct pitch. I think the bolts were M10 or M12, but instead of the expected 1.5 mm spacing the threads were 1.25 mm or something like that, and the holes in the van were the same.

It was easiest to access the one side by dropping the exhaust, and that was easily done by unbolting the tail pipe. Everything came apart fine.

With good access, it was just a case of carefully working the supplied bolts back and forth in the factory holes to clear the slightly-rusted threads. It's important to not cross-thread them.

I used a torque wrench to tighten the bolts as specified, although I had used anti-seize on the bolts.

I reinstalled the exhaust using high-temp anti-seize.

Hope your installation goes well!